Thursday, August 14, 2014

Fishing Friday

I'm excited as I get the chance to beat the weekend crowd once more and fish on Friday.  I get to do that every other week, but it seems like a month or more between my Fridays off.  When I get this chance I hate to blow it so I'll be heading out to Lake Fayette in the morning to test out some new baits I've gotten in over the last couple of weeks.  It is however August in Texas and it is going to be hot so I don't expect to fish all day.   On our last trip to Fayette the water temperature was 93 degrees so I really don't expect it to be any lower.  The good news is the forecast is for much lighter winds than we had last trip, the bad news is the heat index is going to be around 105 degrees so a little wind might be welcomed.

What is the game plan for a very hot August day in Texas with very hot water temperatures?  Well I figure to hit them on my favorite point early just as it is getting light.  Then move deeper on the point as the sun gets up in the sky.  Then I'll try and find some fish in deep water to see if I can get them to bite.  Here is how I have my rods loaded to start the day tomorrow.
#1 is a Quantum Smoke loaded with 12lb Clear Sufix Elite Mono.  Tied on to it is a Throw-n-Thunder 4-blade spinnerbait with an XZone Lures Swammer as the trailer.  You might have saw my initial review on these and I'm excited to finally get them into the water.

#2 and #3 area Quantum Smokes loaded with 17lb Clear Sufix Elite Mono.  It has a Santone Lures Rayburn Swim Jig with an XZone Lures Swammer as the trailer.

#4 is another Smoke with 14lb Clear Sufix Elite Mono and a Santone Lures Rattlin' Jig and a Fish Magic Baits trailer.

Last but not least is a Mitchell with 8lb Clear Sufix Elite Mono and rigged with a Shaky-Drop using a Santone Lures Football Piglet and a VMC Spin-shot hook.  Both have XZone Slammers.

Just as it is getting light I'm going to move up on the point where there is some grass and see if there isn't a few good bass that want to hammer the Throw-n-Thunder spinnerbait.  After the sun gets up over the trees I'm move deeper on the point and switch to the Santone Swim Jigs to see if there isn't a big momma out there that wants a breakfast snack.   After that it is anyones bet where I'll find fish, but I know of a sunken tree that the Santone Rattlin' Jig is likely to pull a good fish or two from.   They have been catch some good numbers near the dam in deeper water on cranks, but since I'm not a crankbait man, I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve to give them a try with the spinnerbait and swim jigs.

If the GoPro works properly tomorrow, I'm hoping to have some good video to share so keep your fingers crossed.  So until then, Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing.


No comments: