Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dunamis Rod Field Test

Headed down to Hall's Bayou yesterday morning to what turned out to be a not so perfect day for fishing Spinnerbaits.  The skys were clear and blue with a very bright sun which I've found over the years is not spinnerbait conditions.  Still I had a new Spinnerbait Rod from Dunamis Rods that needed to be tested and the only way to test a spinnerbait rod is to fish spinnerbaits.  That is what I did, I fish spinnerbaits all day, my favorite Throw-n-Thunder quad blade spinnerbaits.


Once the reel was seated on the rod I had realized it was perfectly balanced and along with being one of the lightest rods I own makes it easy to fish all day without getting tired.  That is huge for an old guy like me that can get tired fast with a combo that is heavy and unbalanced.


The morning was tough as it was a High Slack tide which is another condition where I normally would be fishing a jig deep in the cover.  After about an hour on the water the tide started its change and I hoped the water movement would get the bass out of the deep cover.  Still this time gave me a chance to get used to my new rod, the feel and how she casts.  Not all rods cast the same so it takes some time to used to one and how to make pin point casts that are needed on the bayou.  I really started loving my new rod before the first bass hit as it was letting me make longer casts but still allowing me great placement and most importantly soft bait entry into the water. 

For the Highlights you can watch the video.

 It didn't take too much time after the tide started to move out before I had my first hit and it was bass on.  The rod did exactly what I wanted, it let me feel the strike yet allowed the bass to load up on the line before I set the hook.  Kind of hard to explain in words, but basically with a stiffer rod I tended to pull the bait away from the fish when I first felt the strike, call it quick on the trigger.  With my Dunamis Rod this didn't happen.  In fact on this day if a bass hit I landed him, with the exception of one which wasn't the rod's fault.  It is hard to get a good hook set when the trailer folds back and covers the hook.  It happens from time to time and it always seems like it is on bigger fish.  You would think that bigger bass have bigger mouths and that wouldn't be the case but it is and I'm at a loss to explain why.

One other thing I've decided is to get a bigger memory card from my video camera.  The last couple of trips the memory is full on the camera before the fish really start hitting.  This was the case yesterday as well where I ended up catching most of the fish after the card was full.  All in all I would have had a pretty good limit of bayou bass that would have weighed in the 9-10 pound range.  That would get you up in the top group in most of our bayou tournaments.

Back to the rod; It is very pretty, but most importantly it does exactly what I need it to do.  Josh of Dunamis Rods spent a lot of time with me finding out not just what I wanted but most importantly what I needed in a rod.  He asked questions that I'd never thought to tell him, so I've got to say that without his help I might still be losing fish (over 50%) while fishing a spinnerbait.  So the bottom line here is Dunamis Rods are now my go to rods, in fact, I have a jig rod on the way as we speak.  I only fish with products I believe are the best and that I have full confidence in, so I'm happy to say for rods that is Dunamis!!!

Until next time, Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

2 comments:

Kristy said...

Nice article on Dunamis Rods. I have recently contacted Josh about getting estimates on a custom rod for myself and am excited to see how this pans out.

Unknown said...

Kristy you will be well pleased with your rod. Josh is a great guy and know his rods. He will listen to you and build a rod just for you and he stands behind his rods 110%. Let me know when you get it and what you think.

Derek