Saturday, November 1, 2014

Clear Creek Tourney 10-25-2014

Yes I'm late making this post but it has been one of those week folks.   As I'm sure each of you know sometimes work can just drain the life out of us and that is what has happened to me this past week.

Now back to the results of the Bayou Bassin' League tournament held on Clear Creek Bayou last weekend.  It was an awesome day weather wise as we got ready to leave the boat ramp at first light.  It was a bit foggy so to be safe we waited until everyone could see before we started out for a day of tournament fishing.  The water was muddy and the further up the bayou you went the muddier the water got, but this did not stop the bass from biting.  After talking with all the fishermen after the tournament it seemed that there was a very wide array of baits that caught bass. 

I caught fish all day, and also had my problems all day.  If you remember my post about Blockade Runners Camp the weekend before the tournament you will remember we were catching Speckled Trout and their legal length is 15 inches.  Well for some strange reason 15 inches stuck in my head for the first part of the morning and I turned go some keeper bass, bass need to be 14 inches.  How many keepers I turned back I don't know but it was at least enough to give me a limit.  Still I don't think that would have moved me up into the top 3.

This was a team tournament but both my partners couldn't fish so I went it alone.  This in itself wasn't a biggie as I've done that before and placed well.  What made this an issue for this tournament was the two really good bass that I lost right next to the boat.  I don't care where you put the net in the boat it is just never in reach when you are fishing by yourself it seems.  This was the case of the two really good fish that I lost so it would have been really nice to have had a net man onboard.  At my age I've gained a ton of fishing wisdom, but with that ages comes stiff knees and I just can't get down to lip fish like I once could.  So I lost two fish that would have made a real difference in my final weight.  Well I'm not going to cry over that "Spilled Milk" it is all part of fishing.  However I have warned both my tournament partners that one of them had better be able to fish the next tournament with me.....LOL

So I'll stop rambling and get to the results and the pictures.  So here is your Top 10!!!
 As you can see there were a few good fish caught during the tournament.  I'm not going to say how big the one fish I lost would have weighed, but she would have really pushed hard on the Big Bass.
The winners Chad and Tryone are always at the top in these tournaments and really fish the bayous very well.  Congrats to them on another win and also for Big Bass!!
In 2nd place were some new comers to our Bayou Bassin League Dennis and Dwight, who showed they were right at home on the bayou catching a very nice stringer.
The other benefit of coming in the top 2 is the awesome trophies you get to display and brag about to all your friends.  I want to send out a big congrats to you guys!!!
Catching another nice bayou stringer and coming in 3rd was Mark and Doug.
In 4th was one of the BBL organizers Jake Knight and his partner Brad.  Really do need to thank Jake and also Ken Howard for getting the BBL off the ground and started.

Now coming in 5th was the owner of Hook Spit Tackle Shop and a BBL sponsor Wade Bullard and his partner Mike with another good bayou stringer.  They did catch their fish on Santone Lures Rattin' Jigs.
So where did I finish, well even with all my problems I was able to sneak into 8th place.  Most of my fish and the two good ones I lost came on Santone Lures' Rayburn Swim Jigs in the Acid Perch color.  Speaking of Santone Lures is one of the very bright spots in my rough week as they placed me on their Pro-Staff.  This is very exciting for me as I love their jigs and will do all I can to get the word out to all bass fishermen about their awesome products!!  That wasn't the only awesome news this week though, Throw-n-Thunder Lures also placed me on their Pro-Staff and you've seen those big bass spinnerbaits they produce so I'm absolutely thrilled to be a member of their team as well.  Wow, with Santone and TNT in my corner bass fishing is really getting exciting again for this old man.
For those of you interested in fishing some of our Bayou Tournaments you can go to the Bayou Bassin League website for more information.  http://www.bayoubassinleague.com/home.html
We have a full line up of great tournaments this fall and would enjoy having more team come and try their hands on these bayou bass.

October 25, 2014 - Clear Creek - Already finished
November 22, 2014 - Hall's Bayou - 2004 Hall's Bayou Camp
December 13, 2014 - Clear Creek - Egret Bay Boat Ramp FM270
January 17, 2015 - Dickinson Bayou - Dickinson Hw3
February 21, 2015 - Austin Bayou - 2004 Bridge Ramp near Danbury
March 21, 2015 - Buffalo Camp Bayou - Lake Jackson (Launch TBD)
May 16, 2015 - Sabine River - Beaumont Area (Launch TBD)

Before I end this article I do want to take a moment to thank Hook Spit, Choice Pipeline & Bear's Flooring for Sponsoring the BBL!  Without their help and sponsorship we wouldn't be where we are today.  Hook Spit is allowing the BBL pre-tournament meetings to be held at their store and has also provided store gift card for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes as well as providing gift cards for raffle! Choice Pipeline & Bear's Flooring has stepped up and is provided the trophies for the tournaments this year!

If you are interested in sponsoring the BBL you can contact Jake or Ken on the BBL website or just send me an email at BHOAdventures@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with them.

Until next time, Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Derek. Enjoy reading your post. See you in a couple of weeks on Halls Bayou.

Chad Heitman

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thanks Chad, glad you liked and yes we will be at Halls see you there.