Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lake Houston

With Friday just a few days away I'm getting ready for my next outing on the water.  This trip will be with my best friend Tom to Lake Houston and we will again be looking to get some Bass to bite.  Tom is more of a saltwater fishing guy and Lake Houston is not noted for bass fishing so this will be a good test on both the Santone Lures Jigs, XZone Lures Slammers and also Throw-n-Thunder Spinnerbaits if they arrive on time.

I've only fished Lake Houston a couple of times and will say it can be tough on fishermen.  It is a 11,854 acre reservoir on the west fork of the San Jacinto River with a maximum depth of about 45 feet that was impounded in 1954.  It is located about 15 miles northeast of downtown Houston and is the secondary municipal water supply for the city of Houston.  Because Lake Houston is not a major fishing lake it has been pretty much ignored by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department stocking program.  It did receive some Florida Black bass in 1990 and again in 2013 but the numbers stocked are very low for this size of this impoundment.

Can you catch bass on Lake Houston?  Yes there are bass to be caught, both Florida Blacks and Native Texas Largemouth bass roam the lake and for someone that does some research bass fishing can be rewarding.   Don't expect to catch a wall hanger but the lake record is currently 10.47lbs and it is noted for giving up 5-6 pound bass on a regular basis to those fishermen in the know.  As I stated I've only fished the lake a couple of times, but both of which we caught fish.  When I say caught fish I mean we caught great numbers, but nothing more than a pound or so in size.  Here is a video I shot fishing Lake Houston on my birthday last year.


If you watched the video you can is it took me some time to figure out what they wanted.  It was a drop-shot with a Zoom Trick worm and once I started fishing that rig I caught a bunch of schoolie bass.  So with that in mind I believe on Friday the XZone Slammers on a Shaky-drop rig will likely be the ticket to get Tom some bass on his hook.  Stay tuned in for the fishing report and maybe a video of your trip.

Until next time, Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

No comments: