Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Fishidy - A Must Have App!

I'm always looking for tools that will help me catch more fish.  One of the tools that everyone needs is a means to plan a trip on a new body of water.  In the past 10 years or so the internet has really helped a lot of us step up our game in the planning department.  There is tons of information on the net about almost every body of water.  However you have to do a lot of searching and digging to find the good data and that can be time consuming; that was until I found the Fishidy App.  This App is a source that puts almost all the information in one convenient location and the best part is the App very usable on Smart Phones.  The Smart Phone App means you can this information at your fingertips anywhere and anytime which is huge!!

So what exactly is Fishidy?  It is a combination of a Forum, Hot Spot Map, Weather Report, How-To Technique and Tackle Reviews all in one neat package.  The best part is information on Fishidy grows more and more each day as anglers using the App enter more useful data.  When new anglers find this great App and start using it to mark spots they have caught fish, structure that may hold fish or techniques they are using the information grows even more.  Every day anglers provide how and where they are catching fish on given bodies of water and what bait and techniques they are using.  In short the possibilities are limitless with this App.  Sure it may not have all the information you need today, but as it grows and more and more anglers find and start using it the information it holds has unlimited possibilities.

Let’s look at some of its features:
First of all there are detailed Lake Maps.  More and more lakes are being loaded that have some of the best details I've ever seen.  In fact Fishidy takes a satellite map and overlays a detailed contour map from “Hot Spots” on top of it. In addition when the map comes up it will give you the current weather conditions as well as some of the recent catches on the body of water.  You will see "Hot Spots" marked as well as locations where real people have caught fish.  If you click on these they will give more details about the what, when and how these catches were made.   Also you will see other places marked that may be some type of structure that might hold fish or it may be some type of Hazard that you need to avoid.  The member posts will also include lures and techniques used to catch the fish at these locations.  Oh and the best part is they also include a picture of their catch so anglers have some bragging rights.

Now if you want to keep your hot spot private then there is an option for you to post the location but only you can see it when you call up the map.  This makes it nice as you can enter all the specifics about the catch including the weather so you have a handy log that you can go back to for planning future trips.

The next feature is the ability to follow specific lakes, rivers and streams.  You also have the ability to follow the members that are interested in these same locations and types of fish.  There is a messaging system so you can converse privately with another member and plan a trip to a secret hole.   However if everyone keeps everything secret then the maps don’t get better.  That is why you have folks like me on Fishidy that are more than happy to share our information to help other fishermen catch more fish.  To the left is an example of one of the posts I made recently after a trip to Lake Fayette.  It includes how, where and when I caught that bass.

There is also an added bonus; there is a team of great folks always looking for more ways to make this App better.  They are always adding great features that make the App easier to use or give you more functions that you need.  I sure wish I had something like this many years ago when I was a young man.  Let me tell you I would have been really dangerous on any tournament circuit!!

In closing I’ll say that this App is Derek Herring Fishing approved.  I have it on my computer at home and on my smart phone with me all the time.  I do use it to plan trips to new bodies of water I haven’t fished before and so far it has helped me get on fish quickly on those trips.  I can’t think of anything I’ve left out, but they are likely updating it as I type this article.  There is also someone likely making a post on one of the bodies of water I follow so I’ll have even more info the next time I plan to go there.  Bottom line is grab this App for your phone and/or home computer, then look me up so we can follow each other!

Until next time Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

You can follow me on:
Twitter - @BHOAdventures

Also check out the great folks that help make my fishing adventures possible and the tackle I use and trust.