Saturday, October 31, 2015

Sixgill Fishing Hyperion Reel Review

When Sixgill Fishing offered a 30% discount on their casting reels I thought I'd buy one and give it a good testing.  I ordered the Hyperion 6.3:1 which is their top of the line reel and the price seemed right at $149.00 even without the discount.  Well the price would be right if the reel performed.  I've bought cheaper reels before with mixed results.  I've tried $20 reels from China, waste of money and I've also tried the Academy Sports and Outdoors H2O Xpress Mettle reels which run about $60 and found they are excellent.  I normally fish with Quantum PT Smokes that run about $200 and I judge all other reels against the Smokes.

I received my Hyperion the first week in October and in time to fish it in a tournament that coming weekend.  As you can see from the picture the Hyperion is a good looking reel and it was well packaged.   The cork handles are very nice, but I did have issues with one of the end screw cover coming loose.  Little things like that are very annoying while fishing and specially when you are fishing a tournament.   I actually fished two tournaments with this reel.  I paired it with my Dunamis Rods Ascension Swim Jig Rod.  I didn't fish a lot of Swim Jigs during the first tournament, but the second tournament that was the main bait I used all day.  Needless to say the reel got a really good workout during that second tournament and I caught all my fishing using the reel.   The Hyperion is one of the best casting reels I've ever fished and beats the Smokes in casting distance.  However the casting ability and cork handles are the only positives that I found with this reel.  I knew going in that Sixgill Fishing was pretty new in the baitcasting reel market and that this was their first model year basically.  Knowing this I didn't expect the reel to be perfect.  The main problem with this reel is everything feels loose.  The crank shaft and bearings are not well fitted into the frame and cover which give you an annoying clunking sound and feel.   The drag also tends to loosen up by itself which cost me a couple fish as the drag would slip on the hooksets.

I contacted Sixgill to discuss some of the issues with the reel thinking I might be able to give them my views of the problems to assist.  At first they were receptive of my contact and I was even called to discuss some of the issues personally.  Then it all changed.  I was told that I had to work these things out with their customer service.  That would have been fine, I mean I know I'm no Kevin Van Dam.  Still they could have informed me in a more professional manner than they did.  It is little things like that which set some folks apart from other in the fishing industry.  I really wanted to help them out as I thought they might have a good reel that just needed some tweaking.  The fact that the reel casts so well really had me interested, but their manners and the cold means they brushed me off really turned me off.

So the bottom line is the Hyperion from Sixgill Fishing is Not Bounty Hunter approved!!!  The Hyperion is  not worth the $149 list price in my opinion.  It is not even worth the cost even with the 30% discount.  The H20 reels for less than half the cost will preform better overall then the Hyperion.   In fact, the issues the Hyperion has is very similar to those I found in that $20 reel from China and that does make me wonder where Sixgill Fishing is having their reels produced.

Until next time Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

 You can also Follow me on
Twitter - @BHOAdventures
FaceBook - Bounty Hunter Outdoor Adventures
YouTube - Bounty Hunter Outdoor Adventures

Also Checkout the great folks that help make my fishing adventure possible and the tackle I use and trust.
Santone Lures
Creme Lures
Dunamis Rods
Liquid Mayhem Fish Attractants
Stealth Rod Holders
New Pro Products
Squiddies Flip Reel

19 comments:

Mike Van Nattan said...

Excellent Review! Looks like I won't be wasting my money on one of these either. Thanks for the info!

Mike V.
@GeeksFishToo

Unknown said...

Thanks and I'm glad it helped you out!!

Anonymous said...

Found your review, particularly about the customer support, to be spot on. I compare everything to my Revo STX. Simply have not been pleased with Sixgill reels at all, even considering I got them at discount. Spoken to the owner a couple of times about all the issues I was experiencing and got the ol’ “must be a bad batch” line. I wanted to help, as you did, by provided useful insight into issues I encountered. He did try to rectify the situation and had another set of reels sent out to me but those weren’t any better with problems of their own.
The handles are incredible when new and would put them on every reel if I could. But that is where the good ends because even the handles have design flaws as you mentioned. Cast control sucks on all the reels I received, primarily the lack of any sort of centrifugal clutch. It relies entirely on the spool tension setting (with a heavy dose of mag brake) which makes the reel finicky and properly tuning the cast control difficult. Not only that but I find that the tension constantly drifts all over the place throughout a fishing trip. Components that make up the drag are pathetic. On both Hyperions, the aluminum main body is deformed at multiple locations. One of the Crius had the bearing stuck in place on the main gear shaft which made the drag useless. The spool release thumb bar on one of the reels broke after a single outing. Etc, etc, etc.

I managed to piece together 3 functional reels of the 4 that were sent. I kept the Hyperion and gave two Crius away as Christmas presents. Learned my lesson.

Unknown said...

Thanks for affirming my review. I hope it is saving some folks some money and some heartaches. If you are still looking for great affordable reels take a look at my review on the Ardent Apex Tournament series, http://bhoadventures.blogspot.com/2016/02/ardent-apex-tournament-reel-review.html

I was so impressed with the Ardent reels I request a Pro Staff position with them. I'm happy to say they accepted my request.

Unknown said...

U can buy the junk there selling on Wish. It's the same reel with American writing on it.

Unknown said...

U can buy the junk there selling on Wish. It's the same reel with American writing on it.

Unknown said...

Exactly Robert!!

Unknown said...

Hi guys,
Thank you so much for this wonderful article! Here we all can learn a lot of useful things and this is not only my opinion!
Even BLNCK corp. and http://www.bestbaitcastingreels.com/ confirmed it!

Unknown said...

Thanks , was going to buy one of these reels and had questions . I did call Sixgill twice with questions without response . I think I'm done with them now

Unknown said...

Get yourself and Ardent Apex Tournament, much better reel for less. That is what I'm using tournament fishing right now.

pat said...

Just read your article. Good one. I liked it. Keep going. you are a best writer your site is very useful and informative thanks for sharing!
spinning reel

Unknown said...

Thank you Pat!! I really try to be honest in all my reviews and provide helpful information.

Unknown said...

Go for the best quality product possible and research before purchasing one. Wasting money is not something anyone likes, better spend sometimes on research and get the right fishing accessories. Just read your article. Good one. I liked it. Keep going. you are a best writer your site is very useful and informative thanks for sharing!

Jason Roy said...


This is a nice post you sharing. Thank you for your good experience shared with us.

Anonymous said...

Hey ,
Learn a lot from your write up. Very nice understanding with user. I have a little demand from you. Could you please share a post about best spinning reel under 50. I have looking for last 2 days but didn't find proper review about it. If you about it I'm appreciate with you.
Cheers
Bikash Roy

SEO Backlink Shop said...

Great blog related to fishing.You have shared useful stuff which is good to read.Keep it up.
Fishing Rod in low price

Unknown said...

The products are great who gives a flying crap if its "Bountyhunter approved."

Brian Taylor said...

It’s a great and useful piece of info. I’m happy that you just shared this useful info with us. Please stay informed like this. Thank you for sharing. Here’s another informative content. Fishing Spinning Reel You may find more details here.

benstoke said...

Fatty fish like salmon, tuna and mackerel have fats that can produce fish oil. Fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids which are recommended by health-care professionals to be included in a individual's diet. Omega-3 acids are mainly baitcasters for sale docosahexaenoic acid or DHA and eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA. Omega- fatty acids are essential in cell building.