Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hall's Bayou 9/26/2014

I did get down to Hall's Bayou on Friday and yes I'm late getting a report up.  Been a little busy playing with the granddaughter and also helping you with the weigh-in for a great kids tournament.  More about the kids tournament in another post.

It was a very windy day on Hall's and the water was that tea color that I don't like, but it has been a while since I have been able to take the boat out and get in some fishing.  With that fact alone it was a great day!!!  I never was able to get the bass to bite, or at least bite what I was throwing at them.  I really wanted to see if could get some fish to hit a buzz bait on the bayou, so I fished one from Throw-n-Thunder lures maybe a little longer that I should have.   It is a great buzz bait and makes great sound and has great appearance coming across the water.  I did have a bunch of fish blow up at it,  but none of them took the bait.  I've seen this with top water baits from time to time in the bayou so that doesn't mean a buzz bait won't work on the bayou.  It means it just wasn't the right day for a buzz bait.

So after being a little hardheaded and using the buzz bait too long, I switched to a Throw-n-Thunder lures spinner bait.  This spinner bait was the Rumble Bee color and one that I had picked to be a great color for the bayou.  It didn't take too long to get my first hookup with the spinner bait and with a pretty good fish, but the fish came off.  This was repeated 3-4 more times with a couple other hit scattered in with no hookups.  This told me the fish were being really tentative when hitting and explained why all the blowups and no hookups on the buzz bait.  I was still a little on the hardheaded side and kept throwing the spinner bait.  After all it was drawing strikes and strikes from some good fish so it was only a matter of time before I got a solid hookup right.  Well at least that is what I hoped for but in the end I was wrong.  It took a Gator Gar or something else with sharp teeth decided to take my Rumble Bee away before I gave up on the spinner bait.  It was weird as I was working the bait in on 30lb braid and I felt nothing except all of a sudden I didn't have a bait on the end of the line.  So I'll be ordering a new Rumble Bee come Monday.

Next up to bat came the Santone Lures Rayburn Swim Jig in Acid Perch with and XZone Swammer in Cisco as the trailer.  I also dipped the tail of the Swammer in Spike-It garlic chartreuse as I always do for my jigs.   Well it didn't take this combo long to put a small redfish in the boat.  I would go on having a lot of losses and misses with this combo, but I did put more reds in the boat.  Not sure if I was doing something wrong or if it was just one of those days on the water.  Hey I'm really not complaining as any day fishing is a Good Day!!!   I would have liked to have my strike to catch ratio a little higher but I'll take what I can get.

It was a beautiful morning running down the bayou in the boat and the video turned out so well that I even worked up some new entrance and exit clips from the footage.  Speaking of video, here is the highlight footage from yesterday.  I didn't put too many of the misses, and losses in mostly the catching.   Hope you enjoy.

Until next time, Tight Lines and Take a Kid Fishing!!!

No comments: